Wurfl Capability Browser: Major Update
So today marks the release of the newest version of the Wurfl browser (http://wurfl.ditherandbicker.com). In brief the changes encapsulate:
- Moved db to MySQL from Postgres. I've written about the issues with Postgres before (http://www.ditherandbicker.com/wurfl-capability-browser/postgres-initial-impressions/) and finally decided it was in my best interests to make the switch.
- Added a fancy dhtmlx (http://www.dhtmlx.com) grid to allow dynamic sorting and filtering of result sets.
- Limited searches to devices released in the past five years (all in the name of improving speed, I assure you).
- Updated to the Wurfl file released Feb 3, 2011
- Added a group/capability tree browser.
- Capabilities will generally have some descriptive info about what they represent. These were ripped from: http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/help_doc.php
- You won't have to specify search criteria for a capability to see it in the final output.
- The capabilities that can be searched against or returned are now limited to five, down from ten.
- The "describe device" ain't there anymore.
- XML exporting is also gone.
This will probably be the last "major" revision to the tool. Here on out I'll try to update the underlying db a few times a year and may play with the styling some more.